After the Fourth Has Gone: Recollections & Firework Safety

The Fourth of July is especially exciting. Lots of fireworks and barbecue to be seen and had. But it is also a day of extreme danger. There were three major fires in the Sacramento area this year related to “legal fireworks,” and a neighborhood child came up missing. Luckily no one died in the fires and the child was found unharmed. Nonetheless, it was also the first year my child got to participate in fireworks. I was always a bit hesitant since I’m afraid of anything related to fire and not a fan of the loud sounds, but we were with family and he was fascinated. 

DSCF0501

 

This Fourth was more about family than fair. My son got to see his Great Great Grandfather who is 96-years-old. How many people can say they have a Great Great Grandparent. We also got to be around cousins, Aunts and Uncles that we rarely see. It felt more like Thanksgiving where we celebrate family than a day to celebrate colonial independence. I was thankful that we were all together and had made it another year.

I hope that all of you had a safe holiday. When it comes to safety, I have a few pointers to help you have a safe holiday and weekend (for all of you with leftover fireworks).

– Keep off the grass, especially if you are in a dry area. Dry grass is more flammable. It is better to stay on the concrete or asphalt. If that’s not available, wet the grass down a bit before you begin.

– Sparklers are appropriate for children ages 3 and up. Keep close watch and ensure they hold the very end of the sparkler, my son always wanted to hold the middle. Also make sure they are held parallel to the ground rather then up, and far away from their bodies. The sparkler should be dropped on the concrete or asphalt once it burns to about midway.

– Someone over the age of 18 should always be in charge of the fireworks. 

In addition to the operating rules, there is a specific way fireworks should be disposed of.

1) Fill a bucket midway with water.

2) After each firework has gone off, it should be submerged in water. Often elements inside are still burning. If you just throw them in the trash, they could start a fire.

3) Allow the fireworks to stay submerged overnight, and then discard him.

Brandy - The Mother

Hi, I am Brandy and I am "the mother." I enjoy being a mother, friend, and playmate to my son.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers:

%d bloggers like this: