Halloween season is here again. Children will be out gathering lots of unhealthy snack food, and hyperactivity will be at its height. We can put a stop to these hyperactive fits by agreeing to pass out healthier Halloween treats this year!
Usually health-nuts, including Mr. and Mrs. President, pass out fruit to kids on Halloween. The problem with fruit is most parents, out of fear of poison and inserted razor blades, won’t allow their kids to eat it. And of course, kids hate receiving a fresh, healthy apple on Halloween. So there is no point in wasting your hard earned money on that. Here are some healthy Halloween treats to pass out, that are kid and parent approved.
Ready-Made, Healthier Halloween Treats:
- Organic or high-fiber Cereal Bars
- Snack packets of dried fruit, pretzels, and nuts. Providing all three will give an option to any kids that may have nut allergies or gluten intolerance.
- 100-calorie packs of crackers and cookies such as Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies
- Single-serve boxes of raisins
- Gummy candies made with real fruit juice
- Flavored popcorn tied in small bags with a ribbon
- Packets of fruit or applesauce
- Granola bars with low sugar content
- Organic Lollipops and Candy Drops such as those made by Yummy Earth which are free of gluten, nuts and corn syrup
Instead of treats, you can also pass out toys that promote activity:
- Jump rope
- Sidewalk chalk
- Boomerangs or Frisbees
I like to have a basket full of different types of things – a few Dollar Tree toys for activity, and some of the healthier treats mentioned above. Each kid can then pick one item that appeals to them.